Gender roles
Thesis: Even though the responsibilities of a female in the family have sufficiently increased over the years, women are still looked down upon in the eyes of men.
Intro: women are expected to be the stay at home moms.
- Society’s social norm
- Even though women fought hard for their rights, still not taken seriously
- An issue seen on a daily business
- Real life as well as media and television
o I love lucy and house husbands
• Similar relations between the 2
- Men assume women have it easy
o Don’t fully understand how hardworking women are
Paragraph 1: discuss I love lucy
- Women were portrayed as the stay at home wives
o Takes care of the house chores and cooking
- The men patronized the women about their lives being easy
- Decided to switch roles
- Learned that their lives were a lot harder than they assumed.
Paragraph 2: discuss house husbands trailer
- The men started out being working guys
- Their lives became stressful and difficult
o Figured being stay at home dads were easy
- “the new black”
o Joking about how simple life would be if roles were switched
Paragraph 3: relating with I love lucy through house husbands trailer
- The 2 male leads in I love lucy stated that “anybody can cook and clean”
- “discover the freedom, the fun, the fashion, of being a stay at home husband”
- Both exposes the idea that female roles are less complicated compared to the male roles
o Stay at home, cook, clean, take care of the kids, do nothing.
Paragraph 4: history’s view on women
- Worthless/ property
- Household chores
- Bearing children
Paragraph 5: today’s view on women
- Still expected to cook and clean
o Even after a long days of work
- More responsibilities
o Yet still little respect
Paragraph 6: how have the views (not) changed
- men have always looked down upon women
- Both clips showed the mentality of the men
o Female roles are easier than male roles
o It’s a lot less difficult to be a woman
- Thoughts and beliefs are still similar
Conclusion: unequal gender roles
- Women have more responsibilities than men
o Even with work, are still expected to cook, clean, and take care of the kids.
- Women get treated differently.
- Men should realize that it’s tough to be a woman.
o I love lucy- “We don’t know how you girls feel about it, but we’d like to forget the whole thing. We’re lousy housewives.”
o House husbands trailer- Just a trailer, but throughout the season, the men run into some tough situations
• Realized that it’s harder than it seems
- These clips effectively portray the misleading male’s perspective on women.
o Men who assume that female roles are far more less complicated should watch these clips
Hi Christina!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your observations. Let's try to avoid overgeneralizations in your paper. For instance, we don't want to say men have always looked down on women or that all men look down on women. You might want to say it is common for men to look down on women and give your reader and example or two to prove this.
Hope this helps! Good luck writing.
I like your ideas, and I think you could explain them a bit more. For example, if you are going to say that, "men assume women have it easy," you could try explaining why that is or why you have that impression. Like, if someone disagrees about the fact, try to support it and not assume that your audience agrees with you about all (or any) of your generalizations. I don't mean to say your claims are illogical, just that you could explain more like "men assume women have it easy. I can tell because all men portray this view" or whatever.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I found your layout of your outline a bit confusing, but that's surely just the nature of the attempt to put a formatted object into a restricted blog setting.
Oh I just realized I said the same thing as Ms Pack. Here's something else then:
I actually think that your paragraph breakdowns might be a bit too general. For example, I'm not sure that "history's view on women" will all fit into one paragraph. I'm not sure that topic could even be covered by an entire essay, or a book... It's kind of a huge topic to say like "All views of women anywhere in the world throughout history" in one paragraph. You could maybe shoot for "the view of women in the 50s" and relate it to "Leave it to Beaver" and "I love Lucy" or something. Similarly with all of them actually.. Like each one of your paragraphs is vague enough that it could easily encompass an entire 5-paragraph essay within any one topic (maybe with the exception of Paragraph 6), but I think you're going to need to narrow your topics down a bit or your going to have either an extremely long essay or a very detail-lacking one.
The upside of that though is that it's apparent that you have a lot of good ideas about a lot of different things, which is good. =)
i was trying to get my thoughts down first; i had so many different ideas, i can tell it got a little bit confusing. i'll work on supporting my argument and cutting down on the overgeneralizing. sorry adrienne about the format (i copied and pasted it from word). i also like your advice about narrowing it down to the views of women in the 50's, it'll really help relate back to my primary text. thanks!
ReplyDelete